It has come to our attention that there has been a case of lice in our school. Please remind your child of the following:
- Do not share coats, hats, scarves or other apparel
- Do not share combs, brushes or other hair accessories
- Try to avoid any head-to-head contact
Head lice are catchy, almost like a cold. Because not everyone understands lice, the head louse brings many misconceptions with it. Here are a few items to note regarding head lice:
- Contracting lice is not a sign of uncleanliness
- Lice do not jump, hop, nor fly
- You cannot contract lice from pets
- Lice cannot live for more than a few days away from the scalp (but eggs can survive for up to fourteen days)
Head lice will make you itch. The wingless insects—about the size of sesame seeds—can be found on hair behind the ears, at the back of the neck, and at the top of the head.
Please have a look at the PDF linked below regarding head lice and let us know if you have any concerns.